Package - The Philosophy and Consequence of Measurement
‘When you cannot measure… your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind’. Lord Kelvin
We continue looking into the need, specifications and now usage of test equipment by looking at 6Ps (Precision, Power, Performance) - (Productivity, Portability, Package). Here, we close by looking at ‘Package’ and touch upon the heated debate between stand-alone instrumentation and modular systems.
The package is the totality of your purchase
- The Instrument, portable, handheld, modular
- For use in the field, in the laboratory or R&D, or in production test
- Complete with necessary accessories
- Complete with software
- Complete with warranty or extended calibration and repair services
- Backed by a competent, knowledgeable sales force and technical support staff
- Complete with the correct instrument bus technology which for standalone general-purpose instruments has been General Purpose Interface Bus (GPIB) and, to a lesser degree, RS-232, with more recent emergence of Ethernet, Universal Serial Bus (USB), and IEEE-1394 (Firewire). For modular instruments, the main choice has been VXI (based upon an evolution of VME) and PXI (an evolution of PCI and CompactPCI).
PXI is a rugged platform for test, measurement, and control. The measurement hardware is housed in an industrial chassis and has a host computer either embedded in the chassis or connected to a PC through a cabled interface. Benefits specific to PXI include increased channel count, portability, and integrated timing and synchronisation.
MCS Test Equipment offer a unique breadth of package and supplier of stand-alone instrumentation as well as modular where we stock a range of logic analysers and communication testers, and specifically for PXI we have the key building blocks including controllers, modules and chassis.
We have the product breadth and depth of expertise to bring the best packaged solution to you with ease. What’s more, if you can’t see it, ask and we’ll help find it for you.