The Philosophy and Consequence of Measurement – Power
‘When you cannot measure… your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind’. Lord Kelvin
We continue looking into the need and specifications for test equipment by looking at 6Ps (Precision, Power, Performance) - (Productivity, Portability, Package) and from our previous writings on Precision we move to look at Power and we’ll begin with various Tweets from Mobile World Congress #MWC14
- Power Saving Mode; Ultra Power Saving Mode;
- more power, more pixels, and a refined design
- Flex phone needs a flexible wireless power station
- demos the power of GSMA
- new power management tech for better battery life when streaming at #LTE speeds
- The power of mm wave with the efficiency of point to multipoint backhaul
- chipsets deliver brighter images using less power in phones & more
- Maximizes Wireless Network Connectivity With New Power Amplifier
- enable up to 40+% performance, 30% lower power and 100+% battery life with 28nm collaboration
- solved power consumption and heat issue with snapdragon chip
All of this clearly demonstrates that within the mobile world there is the continuing battle of more data (energy) versus the lower power consumption. Nobody wants to hold a hot brick to their ear!
We demand that our smartphones and other networkable handheld devices use every last bit of battery life to remain connected.
When using a smartphone or tablet to access the internet, you often have a choice between using WiFi or 3G to connect. In general, however, networking using WiFi causes less drain on your device's battery than connecting with 3G. That’s because both 3G and WiFi waste "tail energy" when completing data transfers. Devices must use more power to transfer data and there is a short period after each transfer when the device is still at a higher power setting. This power loss is unavoidable and it will occur regardless of the networking method you choose. Both 3G and WiFi waste some power after completing a data transfer, WiFi is "significantly more efficient than 3G therefore, a WiFi download will use less energy overall than an identical 3G download.
Therefore the quest for more data at less power consumption drives the demand for more and more accuracy, precision and capability of power measurement. The consequences of a simple fundamental measurement increase.
We’ll continue in next article with more on Power measurement.
Rejoice in your measurements. Demand more and enjoy this series.