The Philosophy and Consequence of Measurement – Productivity (Part 1)
‘When you cannot measure… your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind’. Lord Kelvin
We continue looking into the need, specifications and now usage of test equipment by looking at 6Ps (Precision, Power, Performance) - (Productivity, Portability, Package).
Here, we begin to look at Productivity.
So, when making a measurement with a piece of instrumentation what do you need to look out for when considering your productivity?
In manufacturing productivity is the ratio of output to inputs in production; it is an average measure of the efficiency of production.
Productivity can also be seen to be a guide to competitiveness.
How can productivity in the world of Test and Measurement be described?
- Initially there is a distinct reason behind the need to measure and obvious results to be obtained
- That measurement specification then is either described or prescribed to a vendor
- The environment of the measurement can then be either described or prescribed to a vendor
- From those pieces of information or intelligence a decision can be made on what instrumentation to choose
- The instrumentation is then bought, delivered and put into operation
- With productivity in mind keep an eye on the instrument being in use, switched off or set up (turned on) but idle and look to maximise productivity
- During a product life-cycle there could well be need for support in terms of operational advice or calibration and repair
- Finally disposal, write off or sale of the instrument when it is no longer productive
Productivity can be increased by working with a premier supplier at each stage and one that can be with you from design to disposal, such as MCS Test Equipment. MCS Test Equipment has the product breadth and depth of expertise to bring the best solution to you with ease.
What’s more, if you can’t see it, ask and we’ll help find it for you.
Established for over 12 years, MCS Test Equipment are a leading supplier of both new and used test and measurement equipment offering Sales, Rental, Finance and Calibration services.
As official distributors for over 30 leading manufacturers, we have the products, knowledge and experience to meet all your test equipment needs.
Please send us your comments and inputs. These articles are solely an opinion on the measurements we are interested in.